Monday, September 7, 2009

Learn to Identify a STROKE.

My mom had a stroke a while back. I didn't understand what was happening to her. She couldn't speak or was able to walk. I called 911 to find out she had a mild stroke. She was hospitalized for several days. She's under my care 24/7. She has trouble walking and her left side is very weak. I want everyone who has an elderly parent or a love one to know the danger signs, they are having a stroke if they can't perform these tasks.
Remember three steps.
S- Ask the individual to SMILE
T- Ask the person to TALK AND SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
R- Ask them to RAISE BOTH ARMS
Lastly, ask the person to stick out their tongue- If it is CROOKED, or goes to one side
CALL 911, describe the symptoms to the dispatcher

I found this information on a stroke web site. A cardiologist says if every knew these warning signs, their love ones life could be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment